As I write, people are twittering madly about current positions in the Transvulcania ultra marathon Skyrunner World Series being held in The Canary Island of La Palma. Never in the history of endurance sport has such a number of world-class runners gathered together at a single event.
Some of the star-studded participants of the 2012 Transvulcania Skyrunner World Series
The star-studded entry list reads as follows:
- the three winners of the 2011 TNF Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc®, Spaniards Kilian Jornet, Iker Karrera and Frenchman Sebastien Chaigneau;
- Americans Mike Wolfe: 2011 TNF Endurance Challenge 50M Championship and 2nd Western States 100; Geoff Roes: 2010 Western States 100 and 2011 Ultra Race of Champions; Anton Krupicka: 2nd 2010 Western States 100; Dakota Jones: 2nd 2011 Hard Rock 100 Endurance Run and 2nd 2011 TNF Endurance Challenge 50M Championship; Rickey Gates: 2011 Canadian Death Race;
- France’s Erik Clavery: IAU Trail World Champion;
- Britain’s Andy Symonds: La Course de Templiers 2011.
The glittering women’s field inclludes:
- 2011 TNF Endurance Challenge 50M Championship winner – Anna ‘Frosty’ Frost from New Zealand. She has been on the island training for weeks and is in good shape.
- IAU Trail World Champion Maud Gobert from France;
- Americans Darcy Africa: 2011 Hard-Rock 100; Nikki Kimball: 3rd 2011Western States 100 and 2007 TNF Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc®;
- Poland’s Kasia Zajac: Zugspitz Super Trail 2011.
The 500 runners face a daunting 8,525 m ascent and descent over the 83 km course which starts at sea level on the Atlantic coast and travels along the island’s backbone to the summit of the volcano at 2,423m before descending back to the sea and finishing in the town of Los Llanos.
Transvulcania 2012: La Palmas
This race, from sea to sky, is the embodiment of the skyrunning philosophy. It is also one of the most spectacular of the 20 races on the 2012 Skyrunner® World Series. Given the VIP entry list, it could be nothing less than the race of the century.
Twitter gives some breaking news from Roque De Los Muchachos (57.8km): Sebastien Chaigneau and Geoff Roes pull out…
Salomon on Twitter: Anna Frost leading the women’s race! Km57 Go Anna!
Salomon on Twitter: Thomas and Eric Clavery in and out the aid station together. Rickey behind them. Starting to get hot
Saloman on Twitter: Kilian & Dakota first followed by Andy 2 min back km57…
It makes one feel a trifle guilty, sitting here, following Twitter whilst sipping a glass of chilled rosé….. !!!
Breaking news: results from Transvulcania
and just in onTwitter from is: Dakota Jones is 1st into km 77 at 6:31:19 with Andy Symonds 6 seconds back. Kilian Jornet is 3rd at 6:33:35.