Yesterday we wrote about an extreme marathon in temperatures as low as minus 30 degrees celsius – well today we have gone to the other extreme, plus 42 degrees celsius.
In a strict sense this is not a true marathon of 26.2 miles – no this is the Marathon des Sables, an ultra marathon and here there seems to be some dispute about the actual distance. When you look at the video below they refer to 212 kms, whereas Wikipedia talks of the race being 254 kms, but the official website says it is 243 kms!! Lets just agree it is a long way, an ultra marathon, an extreme marathon.
Here are some other facts about the race scheduled for the end of March 2009 and ending April 6th;
- it is run in the Moroccan part of the Sahara desert;
- approximately 700 competitors from as many as 32 nations;
- all personal food must be carried by the competitor;
- water is provided but rationed;
- a six day race with daily distances of 24, 34, 38, 82, 42 and 22 kms;
- registration cost about 2,550 euros;
- extreme mental stamina required;
- considered to be the toughest foot race in the world;
- to date two deaths recorded.
That should whet your appetite but don’t worry, you have plenty of time to prepare – the 2009 race is already fully booked. For further details the official website is www.darbaround.com
Below is a video of the 2006 Marathon des Sables from ohara7